While you are reading labels, you come across some foods that you think to yourself - "that has gluten? Really?" Below are some of those examples:
1. Chicken/ Beef Broth and Oxo/Bullion Cubes - almost all have gluten in them - often it's hidden in the "flavor" component - kudos to Campbells who now list that their products have gluten.
2. Twizzlers - yes - odd isn't - why does licorice need wheat?
3. Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes - the regular kinds have barley/malt coatings - again - a little misleading given their names!
4. Chocolates - especially the expensive ones like Lindt have malt/barley
5. BBQ Crispy Mini Rice Chips - almost ate a few of these a couple weeks ago before I read the label!
6. Canned Soup - this one is obvious to me now - practically all condensed shelf soups are thickened with wheat - to new gluten free people this is not so obvious
7. Any salt and "vinegar" chips that have malt vinegar
8. Canadian Worechester Sauce - has barley/malt - the US kind does not. AND watch out for hidden worechester sauce in BBQ sauces!
9. Salad Dressings - Why on earth does one need wheat in a salad dressing? Some examples I've come across - Kraft Russian Dressing, Kraft Refrigerated Caesar dressing and Kraft light Caesar shelf dressing.
Hope these help - and remember - read the labels!