The last post I wrote about the Mexican Rice part of the meal - now here's the Chicken Enchiladas part! Again, it's from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. This meal is a great project, so much fun, and most of all - super yummy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
3 cups shredded cooked chicken - you can cook it however you want: oven, poaching, etc.
3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese - I've used marble as well and it works fine :)
2.5 cups of enchilada sauce - you can buy some or make your own - see recipe below
1-2 cans of chopped green chiles - optional
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro - optional
12 corn tortillas
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the chicken, 2 cups of cheddar, 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, the chiles, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Stack the tortillas on a microwave sage plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until warm. I do this in stages - gluten free corn tortillas are finicky.
3. Spread the warm tortillas out over a clean counter. Place 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture evenly down the centre of each tortilla. Tightly troll the tortilla around the filling, then lay seam-side down in 9 X 13 inch baking dish lightly coated with vegetable oil or my personal favourite Reynolds release wrap.
4. Pour 1 cup of the remaining sauce over the enchiladas to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheddar down the centre of the enchiladas. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake until the enchiladas are heated through, 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheddar brown, about 5 minutes longer.
I am sure you could use non-dairy cheese for this recipe - but I've never tried it!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp of chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce - we just use the canned San Marzano tomatoes
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and salt and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Stir in the chilli powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Cook until fragrant about 15 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.