I figured I'd do a post on where I like to buy products and generally what is available. I did a previous post on Costco here, but there are lots of other places as well - mind you Costco is still my favorite so I'll give a short update on that as well!
1. Natural Health Shop - This store is located on Stavanger Drive in the strip mall across from Montana's. It has practically any type of gluten free flour that you would need, as well as lots of other great natural health products. The prices for the gluten free flours are very reasonable as well.
2. Sobeys Stores - I usually shop at the Sobeys at Howley Estates. They have a great gluten free selection of cereals, cake and cookie mixes, pastas, chicken stock and freezer items. Most Sobeys around the city have similar selections but there may be small differences between individual stores. I find Sobeys can be expensive at times, but when there is a sale - it's a great chance to stock up!
3. Dominion Stores - Stavanger Drive has the best gluten free selection in my opinion. It is well stocked with cereals, mixes, pastas, cookies and a good frozen selection. Like Sobeys, the items can be expensive if they are not on sale. I do however find the prices are slightly lower than Sobeys on most things.
4. Real Food Market - Located behind the Needs store on Logy Bay Road, they carry a variety of gluten free and organic products. Delivery is an option as well. The store also carries a variety of organic and humanely raised meats that you won't find anywhere else. The prices tend to be on the higher side.
5. Wal Mart - the newly renovated Wal Marts have a labelled gluten free section as well as some flours located in the baking goods section. The store on Stavanger has cookies, crackers, a few mixes, granola bars and cereal. The selection is not huge, but the prices are a little lower than the supermarkets and if you are already shopping at Wal Mart - it will save you a trip to another store! You can also purchase items on walmart.ca and shipping is free!
6. Costco - I have to say, in the last 6 months Costco has really ramped up their gluten free selections. Currently at my store there is gluten free pizza, a couple types of cereal and pasta, deli selections, 3 types of "granola bars", baking mix, 2 types of cookies (go go quinoa and glutino), pretzels, bagel crisps, 2 types of crackers, tortilla chips, healthy planet soups, dips such as salsa, hummus, guacamole and organic gluten free chicken stock. Plus, there are meats, veggies, fruits etc. that are naturally gluten free. If you happen to like the brand/variety that Costco carries it's usually a 1/4-1/2 the price you would have to pay at the supermarket. Also, many of these items go on coupon, and it's an even better deal! Here's a hint though - like everything at Costco, it could be there one day and gone the next - so stock up if you really like it!
7. NEW! Shoppers Drug Mart - I just noticed Shoppers Drug Mart on Torbay Road has a new gluten free section with signage and all! They carry some Glutino, Nature's Path, Kellogg's and Catelli products so far. It is also featured in their new flyers. Awesome!
Where do you like to shop?